Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009

Here's the first update since the e-mail I sent.

Monday Christina had her porta-cath installed. Went well, but a long day. We were at the surgery center at 8:00 for a 10:00 surgery, but her platelets were a bit too low, so they had to start another platelet infusion before they could start installing the porta-cath. I think we finally got home about 2:30. Lesson for the day - make sure I donate blood this year. You never know who might need it, and when.

Yesterday she had her first treatment; a drug called Rituxan. This day was even longer. We had to be there at 7:30 AM, because this drug takes at least 5 hours to administer, if no reactions. Virtually everybody has a reaction of some sort, and Christina was no exception. After a short intermission from the Rituxan (about an hour or so) along with some additional antihistamines, etc. Christina did just fine and we were home a little after 8:00 PM. Lesson for this day - hang on to your friends and family. They are very helpful when it comes to things like cleaning, cooking, watching Jarrett, providing support, bringing you food, letting Jarrett sleep over and taking him to school so you can make a 7:30 appt, and picking him up at the bus, entertaining him, and receiving dinner made by another friend because you couldn't get home until after 8:00.

Today........Well, unfortunately it's scheduled to be another long day. PET scan at 8:30 (2-3 hours), then the first chemotherapy agents start today, at 1:30. Initially, doctor Hersman was thinking of administering Cytoxan and Fludarabine for the chemotherapy, but after discussing Christina's case further, with Dr. Pagel from the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, they've all agreed that one day of Novantrone with Fludarabine (today), followed by 2 more days of Fludarabine would be best. The chemotherapy is only supposed to take a couple of hours, so our days of treatment should start to get shorter. We'll see. We'll do whatever it takes.

FYI - the schedule for the rest of the week is as follows:
Thursday - chemotherapy @ 2:30
Friday - chemotherapy @ 2:00
Saturday - white blood cell booster injection @ 4:00

It will be at least a few weeks before the next cycle, so hopefully she'll start to feel much better between cycles.

Thanks again for everyone's support in this.

Ken

9 comments:

  1. Ken-I get all the comments about keeping us in the loop and yadda yadda---but I deeply believe that you secretly started this blog so you could show off your Macho Pirate Stud Picture without seeming like you believe that you're ALL THAT!!!! It's just a hunch but I'm usually not wrong about these things.....
    I just set an appointment to give blood-THX FOR THAT IMPORTANT REMINDER!!
    'Stina~don't MAKE ME get on a plane!!!! I LOVE you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Kenny,
    Thanks for setting up this blog. Adrian, Lynne, and I want to keep as updated as possible, without bugging you all week long. We think about you guys everyday (and are sad we couldn't see you on Sunday). I really hope we can get together soon. Good luck to Aunt Christina this week - I remember the first week of Lynne's treatments - we love you all!
    Adrian and Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kenny a.k.a Ken..
    Thanks so much for using this outlet to keep us all up to date. We will check this often to find out how she, you, & Jarrett are doing. Wish we were closer to help you all through this. Good luck. Sending hugs & prayers!!
    Julie, Brian Kevin, Jayme & Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ken for taking the time to write the blog. We are thinking and praying for you and Christina often. Keep up the good work!
    Chris, Pam, Kylena & Tristan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ken, Christina and Jarrett,
    Thanks for the blog-it really helps as we pray. I want to encourage you-Rituxan is worth the side effects. It is definitely one of the best drugs out there right now. My sister used to work for its manufacturer. You are fantastic neighbors and we're with you all the way-Carrie, Dennis and Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to post my comment last night, but they made me shut off my phone on the plane. Imagine? :-) This is a great idea. I'm so happy you thought of it. I hope Christina is doing okay today. Tell her we love her and are thinking of her. I'll be in touch soon (via email). Tracey~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kenner,

    Thank you for taking the time to do this. It really helps us feel a part of the journey you and Christina and Jarrett are on now. Know that although we are not physically close by you guys are always in our thoughts and prayers. We love you guys!

    Lorraine,Colleen and Bella

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kenny; I agree with Tina, this is definitely the way to show us the pirate in you! Thank you for keeping us in the loop as to Christina's condition and treatments. Paul and I are thinking of you both and Jarrett. I wish we were closer to lend a helping hand. I will check for your updates with Christina's progress on this blog, great idea! Please give Christina our love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kenny and Christina

    This is from Colorado wishing you all the very best and I'm sure you can do this!!

    Rhanks for teaching us this modern "thing".

    Rosaleene Hrabe

    ReplyDelete